Friday, June 18, 2010

Feet

Something that most people give little thought to or care much about, just like any footsoldier would tell you, feet are important on long marches. Which is pretty much exactly what we're on, a long march with heavy packs and weary muscles, aching feet and even blisters at times. The idea of breaking in a pair of shoes on the go is pretty hideous for anyone with a brain, and the idea of wearing the same pair of footwear through a whole trip is more than some can bear.
I've got what we call 'hippie feet' going on. Wearing my birkenstocks 80% of the trip so far has left me with feet many people I know would cringe at. Calluses, sunburnt at times, strap tan and the ever present black bottom soles... My feet are travel worn and battered. They ache after three hour walking tours, they look bad at times, but they've yet to balk at a task. Seldom will I say no to a walk because my feet hurt, far fewer when i'll refuse to go out because of them. When I get blisters they hurt, of course, but you switch shoes and keep walking.
Here, if you mess up your feet you're as good as dead, travel wise. I bring nice travel socks and comfy shoes, I try to pamper my feet when I can, but few and far between are the days when we take time off completely. So how do we keep up, feet up when you sit when you can, lots of no-shoe time for blisters, and of course, a nice scrub in the showers never hurt.
Feet, thank you for all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment